MUSHROOM SPINACH LASAGNA
My two favorite foods—mushrooms and spinach—are complimented by the rich Cashew Cheese. This one is a good bet for satisfying your friends who eat traditional cooked foods.
8 large portobello mushrooms
2 ¾ cup water
½ cup nama shoyu
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons fresh jalapeño, minced
¼ cup shallot, minced
¼ cup cilantro, minced
¼ cup parsley, minced
4 cups spinach leaves
2 cups Cashew Cheese ( see CONTACT US page for recipe)
TOOLS: Oblong springform pan, sharp knife, marbles or pastry weights
• Remove and discard mushroom stems. Slice gills and soak in water. Cut mushrooms on the diagonal into very thin slices.
• In a bowl combine the nama shoyu, garlic, ginger, jalapeño, shallot, cilantro, and parsley.
• Strain mushroom gills from liquid and discard all trimmings.
• Add mushroom liquid to nama shoyu mixture.
• Dip each mushroom slice into liquid and layer in shallow dish. Once all mushrooms have been treated pour remaining liquid over mushrooms and cover. Refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
• Carefully remove each mushroom and layer half the mushrooms into springform pan.
• Layer 2 cups of spinach leaves on top of mushroom layer. Cover top with clear plastic wrap and make sure plastic wrap has an overhang.
• Layer remaining 2 cups spinach leaves and continue to layer remaining mushroom slices.
• Cover the top with plastic wrap overhang and place 2 lb weight on pan.
• Place in refrigerator for about 2 hours.
• Remove weights and lift plastic wrap up with half the lasagna, set aside.
• Spread 2 cups Cashew Cheese on top of spinach leaves.
• Place other half the lasagna with spinach leaves on top of Cashew Cheese.
• Remove sides of springform. Cut and serve.